Red Cross lifeguard training at Weymouth Club gives participants knowledge and skills to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies.
Participants learn to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and to prevent drownings and injuries.
Course fee: $345 for members, $395 for non-members
For more information or to sign up, email SaveLives@weymouthclub.com or call (781) 682-5818.
To participate, candidates must:
- Be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet and retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface, and swim 20 yards on your back keeping both hands on the brick and your face above the water. Candidates may not swim the distance under water.
- Place the object on the side of the pool and exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Course participants must obtain their own copy of the American Red Cross Lifeguard Manual, which is available in e-book format. Participants can print it out or view it on a laptop or tablet using Weymouth Club Wi-Fi.
Course dates and times:
October 19 5pm-9pm
October 20 and 21 8am-6pm