Prerequisite testing will be completed during the first class. To participate in this course, candidates must have a current lifeguard/CPR/AED/first aid certification and be able to successfully complete the following:
- Swim 550 yards continuously in a prone position demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Swimming on back is not allowed. Goggles are allowed.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet or head first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back keeping both hands on the brick and your face above the water. Candidates may not swim the distance under water.
- Place the object on the side of the pool and exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Swim 5 yards, submerge, retrieve 3 dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface, and swim 5 yards to the side of the pool.
The lifeguard manual is not available for this class but can be viewed online. View the lifeguard manual.
View our registration form here
$150 M | $190 NM
Please contact the Aquatics department if you do not see a class that fits your schedule. We may be able to create a course if there is enough demand.